Beauty Parlor Stroke Syndrome

So you act quickly and go see the doctor. The doctor diagnoses you with a rare condition called vertebral artery dissection from hyperextension of the neck, which is also called Beauty Parlor Stroke Syndrome.

At this point you’re confused because you’ve never heard of this condition before. So read on to find out everything you need to know about this syndrome.

What Causes Beauty Parlor Stroke Syndrome: When your neck is hyperextended over the edge of the shampoo bowl, the pressure motion that you put on your neck can tear the vertebral artery, which is the main supplier for blood to your brain.

shutterstock_657754054

Dr. Steven R. Zeiler explains that when one of those cervical arteries becomes damaged, you get what is called a dissection, which is ultimately damage of the inside of a blood vessel, which leads to abnormal flow and clotting. Those clots can shoot up to the brain and cause a stroke.

shutterstock_65230330

But this is not the only act that can cause this syndrome. Research has found that this phenomenon can occur during innocent stretching, sneezing or even getting out of the bed the wrong way.

shutterstock_213278644

Confirmed Cases of Beauty Parlor Stroke Syndrome: A case study from 2006 relates a case of a woman who began to develop sudden dizziness, nausea and extreme vomiting while she was having her hair shampooed at a salon parlor.

shutterstock_340874852

In 2016, a U.K. man was awarded over $100,000 settlement from a hair salon after he suddenly had a stroke a few days after getting his hair washed.

shutterstock_666660868

Symptoms to Watch Out For: A recent study was conducted that examined the symptoms of beauty parlor stroke syndrome. The study included 25 volunteers that reported dizziness symptoms while having their hair washed.

shutterstock_470081633

From the study, dizziness, neck pain and carotid blood flow were among the most common symptoms reported while the neck was extended over the sink. But the symptoms were significantly reduced when proper support for the neck was used.

shutterstock_552438085

Another study was conducted to see if any other symptoms were experienced during a salon visit. This study found a direct link to the hyperextended neck position during the shampooing experience to cerebellum vascular insufficiency. In basic terms, it’s the obstruction of the main arteries that the blood flows through to the brain.

shutterstock_221642665

Although the risk of being injured at a salon is very low, if you have experienced any of these symptoms while getting your hair washed, you might want to do yourself a favor and wash your hair at home.

shutterstock_610873295

Other Risks At A Salon: Having your hair washed is not the only health danger at a salon. Getting your nails done is also a potential risk.

shutterstock_387979531

When you’re getting the traditional manicure, you’re putting yourself at risk of bacterial fungal, mycobacterial and viral, including human papilloma virus and herpes simplex virus.

shutterstock_693857683

Certain chemicals that are used such as formaldehyde and toluene sulphonamide-formaldehyde resin can lead to chronic paronychia – an inflammatory disorder of the nail fold.

shutterstock_272636954

Other Disorders Caused By A Trip to the Nail Salon: Just take a look at some of these disorders that may influence you to start doing your own manicures and pedicures at home.

shutterstock_110675840

Worn Down Or Overfilled Nails: When you get your nails done, a special coating is used. But by putting on and constantly removing the acrylic nails, you’re inflicting mechanical trauma to your nails.

shutterstock_678205756

Peripheral Neuropathy: This is a type of nerve damage that is caused by complications experienced with acrylic nails. Possible cause is the methacrylates that some of the artificial nail products contain.

shutterstock_260890520

Nail Thinning: Having strong thick nails is a good indication that you have a healthy strong body. But by constantly having your nails painted can cause them to become weak and thin. This can result in them breaking very easily.

shutterstock_453539734