- Specialty toothpaste,
- Whitening strips,
- Over-the-counter gels,
However, before going out and spending a ton of money on whitening products, there are simple and economical remedies that are equally as effective. Using just a few items that you probably have lying around your home, this teeth whitening trick will have your smile beaming in no time.
Here’s how to whiten teeth at home in just a few minutes.
1. To create a teeth whitening paste, you’ll need baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), a lemon or citric acid, and a toothbrush.
2. Once you’ve gathered these household items, grab a saucer or plate to mix the ingredients together.
3. Start by cutting the lemon in half and then squeezing the juice onto the saucer. You’ll want a fair amount of lemon juice or citric acid to begin with.
4. Next, add some baking soda to the lemon juice. Try to equally proportion the two ingredients in the saucer, if there’s too much baking soda, add more lemon juice and vice versa.
5. Once your mixture has a good mix of lemon juice and baking soda, take a toothbrush and start mixing it together. The two ingredients should turn into a foamy paste.
6. Now, use the paste to brush your teeth. Make sure to not leave the paste on your teeth for more than two minutes as the acid can damage enamel.
7. Use this paste twice a day for three weeks and you’ll have a visibly whiter smile.
8. Baking soda is composed of a chemical compound, which makes it a great abrasive to effectively remove any surface stains. The citric acid in lemon juice cleanses the mouth, the vitamin C helps lighten teeth, and the acidic and anti-bacterial properties help kill bacteria.