Eating is vital to our health and well being. We eat to live. When you consume your foods, in some cases, is just as important as what you are consuming. Eating all the right foods but at the wrong time is counterintuitive and an exercise in futility.
The goal in healthy eating is not just eating foods that are good for you and avoiding the bad. It is learning your body and figuring out how to optimize the food that you do eat. This means learning how to improve your digestion and to maximize absorption of the key nutrients your body needs.
Eat These 4 Foods on an Empty Stomach
Fruit is an incredibly healthy food group: packed with vitamins, nutrients, fiber and water. Incorporating fruit into your diet, the proper way, allows your digestive system to reap more powerful benefits through vitamin intake and improved digestion. Starting your day with fruits helps you detoxify your system, supplies you with a great deal of physical energy, can aid in weight loss and provide the needed energy and focus for other life activities.
The simple sugars contained in fruit need time to be completely absorbed by your body. When fruits are eaten alone and when your stomach is empty, all of the nutrients, fiber and the simple sugars contained in the fruit can be more easily processed. According to prevailing research, this is the ‘proper way’ to benefit from eating fruits.
Oatmeal, Buckwheat and Cornmeal Porridge
Eating oatmeal first thing in the morning or on an empty stomach has several advantages. First it provides a coating on the lining of the stomach which prevents irritation from your bodies naturally occurring hydrochloric acid (HCL). Oatmeal also contains soluble fiber which aids in digestion and lowers cholesterol.
Buckwheat and cornmeal porridge also stimulate digestion while lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels. They remove toxins and heavy metals from your intestines and create a satiated feeling for a longer period of time.
Honey helps to awaken your immune and digestive systems. Honey has been shown to help with “lazy bowel syndrome,” and other stomach issues. It also acts as a cleaning agent by ridding the body of harmful viruses and bacteria.
Eggs are extremely good for you and provide a myriad of health benefits whenever they are consumed. What makes them the perfect food to consume on an empty stomach is the fact that they make you feel full longer. Studies have shown that when eggs are eaten in the morning, the total amount of daily calories consumed decreases and eggs also aid in fat reduction.
These four foods will improve your overall health, aid in digestion and are excellent breakfast foods!
Along with knowing which foods we should eat, we should also be aware of foods we should avoid eating when our stomach is empty. Eating the wrong foods at the wrong time can wreak havoc on your insides.
Avoid These 6 Foods When Your Stomach is Empty
Tomatoes, although packed with nutrients and high amounts of Vitamin C, also contain high levels of tannic acid which increases acidity in the stomach and can lead to gastric ulcers. Save the tomatoes for dinner salad.
The primary reason to avoid putting yogurt on an empty stomach is because the benefits of the lactic acid bacteria found in yogurt is rendered ineffective due to the high acidity of stomach acid. Therefore you gain very few of yogurt’s health benefits when consumed first thing in the morning.
We all are aware that too much sugar is bad for you. But did you know that the sugar added to most processed foods–such as high fructose corn syrup and other such sweeteners have the same effect on the liver as drinking too much alcohol? The sugar that is found naturally in fruits is counteracted by it’s fiber but copious amounts of fructose–especially on an empty stomach, overloads the liver and can lead to liver damage. Skip the breakfast donuts, guys…
Bananas are one of the best known diet foods. It satiates, assists in relieving constipation and is considered by some health experts to be a super food. However, bananas contain high amounts of magnesium and potassium which can lead to an imbalance of magnesium and potassium in blood if you eat bananas on a completely empty stomach. Bananas are a prime example of eating the right food at the wrong time.
Tea and Coffee
Drinking coffee on an empty stomach increases acidity, which in turn causes heartburn and indigestion throughout the day. Drinking tea on an empty stomach can suppress the secretion of gastric juices and reduces bile and acid in the stomach which aid in the overall digestion of foods and is essential to the process of secreting excess cholesterol from the body.
With no food in the stomach, alcohol travels straight to the bloodstream. Once alcohol is in the bloodstream, it’s quickly distributed throughout the entire body, causing the blood vessels to widen and result in temporary feelings of warmth, temporary decrease in pulse rate, as well as blood pressure. It travels through the stomach, kidneys, lungs, liver, and then to the brain. It doesn’t always take long for this to happen either; about 20 percent of the alcohol a person drinks passes through the stomach and reaches the brain within a minute. Having food in the stomach decreases the rate in which alcohol travels through the bloodstream, slows its effects and minimizes the damage it causes to the organs.
Research is definitive; when you eat is just as important as what you eat. Good health begins with being conscious about what we put into our bodies and learning how to fully optimize those good food choices.
If you are dealing with coughs and mucus, it is time to say goodbye to these problems. We have an incredible remedy that is made only from natural ingredients.
It provides amazing results and has no adverse effects, unlike many drugs and meds. This remedy is recommended for both children and adults.
Note: In order to obtain the maximum benefits, make sure to use fresh carrots!
Health Benefits of Carrot
- Strengthens immunity
- Improves skin
- Reduces LDL cholesterol
- Improves heart health
- Detoxifies your body
- Improves skin
- ½ kg carrots
- 4 tbsp honey
You should peel the carrots, boil them until soft. Keep the water from the boiling and add it to a blender along with the carrots and honey. Blend until you get a smooth mixture. Place it in a jar and refrigerate.
It is recommended to consume 3 tbsp a day. Within 2 days, you will experience significant results!
Sources and References:
Lacto fermentation can preserve the nutrients from the foods. Moreover, it creates beneficial enzymes, all types of vitamin B, and probiotics which are very useful for improving digestion and maintaining a healthy bowel.
These are some of the reasons why fermented foods can be helpful for your health. With a proper function of your digestive system, your body will be able to properly absorb all the nutrients and strengthen the immune system.
Ginger is a popular spice that can come in a fermented form as well. It possesses powerful anti-inflammatory properties and it has the ability to fight cancer and many other diseases.
Gingerol, the active compound in ginger, is known for its potent antioxidant properties. Ginger can effectively treat various issues and ailments.
It can balance the blood sugar levels, lower the bad cholesterol, lower the risk of heart disease, and treat nausea and sore throat.
How to prepare fermented ginger:
- 1 medium ginger root, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon turmeric spice
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
You should soak the ginger root in lukewarm water for 15 minutes. Then, with a spoon, scrape the skin. You can use a smaller or bigger root. It depends on the size of the jar you will be using.
Put the root in a jar and make sure to cover it all with lemon juice. Stir in the sea salt and turmeric powder and let it dissolve in the lemon juice.
Use a secure jar lid to cover this mixture and close it well. Let it stand at room temperature for 2 weeks so it can ferment. You can use the root as a side dish or garnish.
It is not recommended to cook it because it may lose all of the health benefits obtained from lacto fermentation.
Acute pain is most often a result of an injury, and has a sudden onset and limited duration, while chronic pain is caused by long-term diseases, and lasts longer.
Pain is usually treated with painkillers such as paracetamol, NSAIDs, and opioids.
Yet, these often bring about severe side-effects, like allergies, dizziness, changes in blood pressure levels, heartburn, and physical dependence. Due to this, numerous people try to relieve pain naturally, using spices, foods, herbs, and exercise.
The following 101 ways will help you avoid such adverse effects, and treat the pain completely safe and naturally:
- Ginseng treats Fibromyalgia and musculoskeletal pain and treats fatigue, which is a common symptom of the disease.
- Feverfew- this herb is native to Asia, and treats migraines.
- Lavender oil relaxes the muscles and treats a migraine and tension headaches.
- Rosemary oil treats muscle pain by topical application, and the inhalation of its vapors treats tension headaches.
- Cayenne is excellent in treating pain due to Psoriatic arthritis and similar diseases.
- Turmeric is highly effective in treating pain, and studies have shown that its anti-inflammatory properties are even more effective than the ones of NSAIDs.
- Broccoli is a rich source of magnesium and potassium, both of which are powerful –inflammatories, so it effectively treats chronic inflammation and pain.
- Sleeping on the back is helpful in the case of back pain, and for lower back pain, put a pillow between the knees.
- Cinnamon soothes muscle soreness after an athletic performance, and in a combination with a supplement like Traumeel, its positive effects can be long-term.
- Devil’s claw treats back and neck pain, as well as pain due to Osteoarthritis.
- Lose excess weight in the case of joint pain, to ease the pressure on the joints.
- The caffeine from coffee might treat pain while performing exhausting tasks.
- Tart cherries have strong anti-inflammatory properties which soothe muscle pain.
- The “Bow Pose” is a yoga pose which relieves stomach cramps due to menstruation.
- The root of a kava- kava plant, soothes neuropathic pain and tension headaches.
- Ginger essential oil quickly soothes the pain due to autoimmune diseases, like multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and lupus.
- Eucalyptus essential oil treats muscle injuries and sinus congestion, due to the strong anti-inflammatory properties.
- Ginger treats pain and reduces the secretion of cytokines that lead to inflammation.
- Yarrow essential oil is excellent for treating pain since it is high in salicylic acid, which has analgesic effects, and also has potent anti-inflammatory properties.
- Helichrysum essential oil should be applied topically to relieve pain. It has strong antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- The“Supported Warrior” yoga pose treats acute and chronic pain and is especially effective in the case of knee pain.
- The “Butterfly” yoga pose is especially useful in the case of arthritis in the hip.
- Clary sage essential oil treats pain in the abdominal area, cramps and stomach spasms.
- Chiropractic treatments with spinal manipulation are effective in the case of back pain, especially if it is caused by an injury.
- Red wine contains a beneficial compound, resveratrol, which regulates pain at a cellular level.
- Hypnosis performed specifically for pain management treats lower back pain, and pain due to Fibromyalgia.
- Bok Choy, or the Chinese cabbage, is rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, which lessen pain.
- Avoid foods that are high in refined sugars, as they promote inflammation in the body.
- Osteopathic Manipulation Therapy treats musculoskeletal pain and reduces muscle spasms.
- Tomatoes are a powerful natural remedy which treats inflammation and pain.
- Consume filtered water, as regular tap water is rich in compounds that may contribute to inflammation, which may, in turn, causes pain.
- Foods rich in lean protein detoxify the liver and thus soothe the pain.
- Cook your meat at a lower temperature, as the pain and inflammation are aggravated by the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and heterocyclic amines produced when meat is cooked at a high temperature.
- Consume foods rich in unsaturated fats to avoid inflammation, which worsens pain.
- Frankincense essential oil treats anxiety helps you to reduce stress and fights inflammation and pain.
- Valerian root lowers the severity of premenstrual syndrome, and reduces muscle contractions.
- White willow bark relieves pain and treats inflammation. It is especially useful in the case of joint pain.
- Peppermint oil treats lower back pain and headaches when applied topically on the affected area.
- Clove oil has powerful antimicrobial properties, so it treats throat pain and toothaches.
- Soaking in a warm bath is another way to reduce muscle spasms, and lessen pain due to muscle injuries and arthritis.
- Heat therapy, which involves a heat patch or warm water bottle, boosts blood flow in the affected area and suppresses the pain signals, thus reducing the pain.
- Probiotics soothe inflammation and thus fight pain due to an irritable bowel syndrome.
- Cold therapy, performed with an ice pack, relieves inflammation around treats pain.
- A warm bath with Epsom salts fights muscle pain and relaxes the muscles.
- Holy basil has powerful anti-inflammatory properties, which soothe inflammation and the pain it causes.
- Vitamin E supplements are high in antioxidants, which prevent free radical damage and soothe pain in arthritis patients.
- Daily exposure to sunshine (an average of 15 minutes per day) optimizes the levels of vitamin D in the body, which has been shown to treat pain.
- Reduce stress as it might worsen pain.
- Massage therapy effectively soothes acute and chronic pain.
- Vanilla extract can numb the painful area and soothe a toothache if applied to a sore tooth and the surrounding gums.
- Regular sexual intercourse treats headaches and leads to less severe PMS cramps.
- An adequate amount of sleep prevents and reduces the severity of muscle pain and several types of chronic pain.
- Grape juice is a rich source of pectin, which reduces inflammation and fights pain due to arthritis.
- Stretching is also of great help as it reduces muscle stiffness and reduces the pain due to muscle stiffness.
- A mixture of salt and water temporarily soothes toothache as it cleanses the infection in the oral cavity.
- Thyme helps to reduce the severity of pain.
- Borage oil is an effective way to reduce the severity of PMS symptoms, and relieve pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis and inflammation.
- Magnesium deficiency is one of the leading causes of chronic pain and muscle cramps, so make sure you optimize its levels in the body.
- Boswellia extracts reduce the severity of migraine attacks and tension headaches.
- Omega-3 fatty acids treat inflammation, reduce joint stiffness, and fight back pain, and pain due to menstrual cramps.
- Creams that contain comfrey are highly effective in the treatments of upper and lower back pain.
- Salmon is a rich source of nutrients that soothe inflammation and treat pain.
- Blackstrap molasses is rich in minerals, so it treats pain that is caused by arthritis.
- Strength training exercises will be of great help in the treatment of pain in the legs, back, abs, shoulders, chest and arms.
- Glucosamine supplements treat joint pain due to arthritis and collagen degradation.
- Swimming treats neck pain and neck pain, strengthens the muscles, and relieves stress, which often leads to pain.
- Supplements that contain Gamma-Linolenic Acid treat joint stiffness, inflammation, and pain.
- Extra virgin olive oil is another natural remedy for pain due to Osteoarthritis or any other type of arthritis, as it lubricates the bones, soothes inflammation, and fights pain.
- Bone broth fights joint pain and inflammation, since it is rich in calcium, Magnesium, Sulphur, glucosamine and various other compounds.
- Chondroitin supplements, lower joint pain and improve joint movement.
- Creams and ointments that contain capsicum treat pain, and are especially useful in the case of back pain.
- The leaves of a dandelion plant have powerful anti-inflammatory properties, while the plant is rich in linoleic acid, which supports the regulation of the body’s inflammatory responses.
- Practice Qigong, the traditional Chinese exercise technique, which has been found to be able to soothe pain by as much as 73%.
- An adequate consumption of vitamin C boosts the production of collagen production and prevents free radical damage. Moreover, it is useful in the treatment of pain and inflammation caused by rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
- Gin, combined with golden raisins, soothes pain and reduces inflammation.
- Chiropractic treatments are really helpful in the case of outer legs, hip, and back pain.
- Juniper essential oil treats pain due to hemorrhoids, indigestion, and colitis, and relieves rheumatic pain.
- Acupuncture is a great way to relieve migraines, reduce lower back pain, lessen pain caused by arthritis and after a surgery.
- Wild Opium Lettuce, is effective in easing pain, when the milky sap from the leaves is extracted and consumed.
- Blue Lotus soothes migraines and muscle spasms.
- The leaves and bark of the Eucommia tree alleviates back pain, and joint pain in the hips and knees.
- Green tea contains beneficial compounds which block the inflammatory response triggered by arthritis, and thus soothe the inflammation and pain due to arthritis.
- Consume meat and products from farm-raised animals, as commercially raised ones are often fed foods that contain ingredients that aggravate inflammation and pain.
- Take a break – Always find time to relax and provide the rest your body needs.
- Sandalwood essential oil is a great natural remedy for muscle, joint, and neuralgia pain.
- Wintergreen essential oil is extremely effective in the treatment of muscle pain, neuralgia, and joint pain due to arthritis, as well as headaches and a sore throat.
- Listening to music is beneficial for pain as it can increase the amount of hormones involved in the human body’s pain sensitivity, and thus soothe pain.
- Walking barefoot is beneficial in the case of knee pain, as it relieves 12% of the pressure applied to the knees while walking with shoes.
- Walnuts are rich in proteins and Omega-3, so they have potent anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the affected area and fight pain.
- Check your blood sugar levels as normal blood sugar levels prevent or treat nerve pain due to diabetes.
- Calcium is an essential mineral for healthy bones, so it is helpful in the treatment of pain due to osteoarthritis.
- Practicing meditation on a regular basis might be of help in the reduction of the intensity of chronic pain due to long-term diseases.
- Chia seeds are rich in nutrients and compounds with anti-inflammatory properties, so they are helpful in the treatment of pain.
- A daily walk could help you treat back pain and the pain caused by osteoarthritis.
- Arnica oil should be applied topically in order to soothe acute pain due to an injury, and to reduce swelling caused by a surgery.
- Do not use gadgets in the bedroom, as they emit light which negatively affects the body’s internal clock, leading to poor sleep, inflammation, and pain.
- Avoid foods that may contribute to inflammation and pain.
- Potassium-rich foods will help you alleviate joint inflammation and pain.
- Black pepper boosts the absorption of many spices and herbs, and thus accelerates their pain-relieving effects.
- The “Cobra” yoga pose is a great way to treat back pain.
- Drinking at least eight glasses of water daily can help you fight muscle and back pain and reduce stiffness.
Therefore, next time when you suffer from some kind of pain, you should try some of these natural remedies first, as they will effectively lessen the pain, and not lead to any side-effects.
Dr. Kuo used a tiny camera inserted in the stomach of a patient in order to record what happens in the digestive system after eating instant noodles. The results, which you can see in the video below, were shocking. Ramen noodles aren’t broken down in the body for hours after consumption, which may cause numerous serious health problems.
By not breaking down for that long a period, the noodles make your digestive system work too hard, which means less energy for other processes. When food remains in your stomach for too long it affects proper nutrient absorption, although ramen noodles aren’t incredibly nutritious to begin with. They are also full of dangerous chemicals and toxins such as TBHQ and can put your health in grave danger.
Only 5 gr. of these noodles can be fatal!
TBHQ (tertiary-butyl hydroquinone) is a byproduct of petroleum which has artificial antioxidant effects. This dangerous chemical prevents the oxidation of fats and oils in the body and is added to foods in order to extend their shelf-life. This byproduct can be found in chicken nuggets from McDonald’s, peanut butter cups, Taco Bell beans, Wheat Thin crackers and other popular types of junk food. Furthermore, the chemical is found in varnishes, pesticides, cosmetics and lacquers.
Although it’s harmful effects on our health have been confirmed by several studies, TBHQ is still allowed in food in certain limits. The limit currently stands at 0-0.5 mg per kg. of body weight, while the highest levels allowed are 100-400 mg/kg. The American FDA requires that TBHQ doesn’t exceed 0.02% of the oil and fat content in processed food.
However, as studies have shown, consuming 5 gr. of TBHQ is lethal, and even a single gram can cause symptoms such as ringing in the ears, delirium, nausea and suffocation. As instant noodles contain too much of it, it may be best to avoid this highly processed food in. Studies by the Environmental Working Group have linked TBHQ to biochemical changes in the body, liver damage and even cell mutations.
If you still consider ramen noodles safe for consumption, one recent study’s results are sure to change your mind. The study showed that women who eat ramen noodles regularly have a significantly higher risk of metabolic syndrome. Additionally, they also experienced high blood pressure, high blood sugar levels, increased triglycerides and low HDL cholesterol levels, symptoms which are indicative of cardiovascular problems.
Which other harmful ingredients are in ramen noodles?
It’s not just TBHQ you need to worry about – ramen noodles also contain palm oil, flour, salt, sugar, seasoning and monosodium glutamate. Even more shocking, a study from 2012 found Benzopyrene in six popular ramen noodle brands.
If you’re wondering what Benzopyrene is, it’s a well-known carcinogen. The monosodium glutamate (MSG) in ramen noodles is a seriously harmful ingredient which has been related to numerous neurological disorders as well as other health problems.
Switch to whole foods
Instead of eating ramen noodles, you should start consuming a healthy diet rich in whole foods. Processed foods are responsible for weight gain and various diseases and conditions, which is why it’s best to stay away from them.
Preparing healthy meals won’t take as much time as you think, and healthy food isn’t always more expensive than junk food. Eat eggs, fresh fruit and vegetables, organic meat and other whole foods more often in order to keep your health in check. Plan your meals in front, and you’ll be able to prepare the ingredients on time and eat healthier.
Bright Side found 8 major mistakes that we make when brushing our teeth. We have also included solutions to keep your smile healthy and beautiful for many years to come.
8. We press the toothbrush too hard while brushing our teeth.
When we press the toothbrush too hard, its hairs bend and don’t remove tooth deposits properly. Additionally, it can lead to gum damage.
Here you can find some tips on how to choose the right toothbrush and toothpaste.
7. We don’t pay attention to the food we eat.
We all know that eating too many sweet things can cause cavities. However, to keep our teeth healthy, we need to eat food that contains calcium, phosphorus, and fluorine. Here are some tips for you.
Foods containing calcium:
- dairy products
- fruit and vegetable skins
Foods containing phosphorus:
We usually receive the necessary everyday dose of fluorine with water. However, if you live in a region where the water has a low concentration of fluorine, you should eat more foods containing fluorine, such as milk, salt, etc.
6. We don’t use additional tooth-cleaning devices.
It doesn’t matter how hard your toothbrush hairs are, they still can’t remove tooth deposits completely. That is why it is important to clean the gaps between your teeth with dental floss. If the gaps are quite wide, you can use an interdental brush. To annihilate bacteria, rinse your mouth with mouthwash.
You can also obtain an oral irrigator. It is like a shower for your teeth and gums which you can use after each brushing session. A thin stream of water and interchangeable nozzles can clean your tongue and the gaps between your teeth and massage your gums.
5. We don’t take care of our gums.
If your gums are weak and don’t have a great enough blood supply, it can lead to periodontitis. With this disease, your gums bleed, become inflamed and soft, and reveal dental necks. And you can eventually lose your teeth.
To make your gums stronger, you need to massage them with your toothbrush or finger with circular movements. Eat solid food, and chew it thoroughly. You can also rinse your mouth with oak bark or sage teas or with a salt solution.
If your gums are inclined to bleed, visit a dental hygienist. He or she will prescribe specific medications to strengthen your gums.
4. We don’t get our tooth tartar removed.
Tooth tartar is the hardened product of minerals from saliva and foods that accumulates in plaque around the teeth. It has a yellowish-brown color and can’t be removed with a toothbrush. Dental plaque and tartar cause periodontal disease, including inflammation of the bone surrounding the teeth. Tartar can become as hard as rock, becoming removable only by a dentist or dental hygienist with special tools.
Have a hygienic cleaning procedure at least once a year. Your dentist can advise you on the proper frequency for your teeth condition.
3. We think we are too old for dental braces.
A lot of people think they can make their teeth straight only during their teens. When they are adults, they think it’s just too late to wear dental braces. But that’s the wrong conclusion. A beautiful smile is not even the main reason to have the treatment. If you have a problem of snagged teeth, it can lead to cavities and decay.
If you feel embarrassed to wear regular braces, you can always choose invisible lingual braces which are placed on the back side of the teeth. Don’t hesitate to make an appointment with an orthodontist.
2. We chew only on one side of our mouth.
Chewing has self-cleansing properties. So if you chew food only on one side of your mouth, it can lead to cavities and decay on the side you don’t usually use.
Apart from that, chewing food on one side of the mouth causes thick and strong muscles on that side. The muscles on each side of the face will become asymmetric. Eventually, it can lead to pain and even hearing problems.
Pay attention when eating, and try to chew your food on both sides of your mouth. Don’t forget to eat solid food, such as fruits and vegetables. It will make your teeth stronger.
1. We don’t teach our children to take care of their teeth properly.
Some parents think there is no need to take proper care of milk teeth because they are temporary. But a child should be in the know about what is right and what is wrong because the teeth will change but the habit will stay. The process of brushing teeth should last for at least 3 minutes, and the brush should be moved up and down.
The enamel of children’s permanent teeth is not as strong as that of adults’ teeth. And the grooves (fissures) on their grinder teeth are deeper, which is why the food particles are not so easy to brush away. Teach your child to brush their teeth carefully. Perhaps it’s worth taking the procedure of fissure sealing (a specific dental treatment intended to prevent tooth decay).
Bonus: How to use an old toothbrush
Dentists recommend changing a toothbrush every 3-4 months. But old toothbrushes can have a much more interesting afterlife than the trash bin.
Here are some ideas for what you can do with your old toothbrush:
- scrub and massage your lips
- clean your nails
- brush and dye your eyebrows
- clean corn and young potatoes
- clean shoes, keyboards, gaps between the bathtub and porcelain wall tiles, and any other places that are hard to reach
To make a convenient tool out of a toothbrush, you can heat its handle with fire from a lighter, and bend it at the necessary angle.
You can find other ways of using an old toothbrush in this video.